Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Keeping Our Eyes on the Ball

Today I'd like to interrupt my series on understanding the short and long-term lessons found within the Rules of Induction (Atkins) and provide space for my husband, Dr. Gil Wilshire, MD to share his thoughts in a guest commentary. So, without further ado:

Keeping Our Eyes on the Ball
Gil Wilshire, MD, FACOG

Back in 2006, Regina and I were interviewed and asked about our thoughts on the future of dietary science and policy. We speculated that carbohydrate restricted diets would be an accepted, main-stream concept by the year 2040. I believe we are well on our way to seeing our goal fulfilled well before this arbitrary temporal milestone.

I try to remain constantly vigilant with regard to new scientific information, and it seems that in every month good, new information is published. Recently, Matt Hayes and colleagues (J. Nutr. 137:1944-50, 2007) drilled deeper into out understanding of carbohydrate restriction, metabolic syndrome, and the biochemistry behind satiety. I am pleased to see that our current shared clinical experience of spontaneous caloric control and rapid reversal of metabolic syndrome is now being bolstered by more clinical data. Although the study in question was rather timid with respect to carbohydrate restriction (it was a South Beach-type protocol) I still found the information valuable.

It is another, peer-reviewed paper to the ever-growing pile of scientific evidence supporting our position.

I would also like to add that my ever-growing clinical experience in my new home of Central Missouri continues to be very gratifying. It seems that not a month goes by where something good happens very quickly after a patient begins their new life style (I dislike the thought of "diets"...this implies a temporary change, instead of a whole new way of being). In my obese, "infertile" patients, it is fairly common for women to become pregnant before instituting hormone therapies. Women who appeared destined for the bariatric surgeon are losing huge amounts of weight...and now are making appointments with the plastic surgeons!

I must say, there are many doctors in the surrounding communities who are truly scratching their heads as our mutual patients make healthy progress eating "high fat" diets. Now, after some period of suspicion, I am actually getting requests to learn more about what we do in my office!

Positive results are very persuasive.

Nothing succeeds like success.

Being married to Regina is never boring, and I am privileged to hear all the latest details occurring within the nutritional community every night when I get home from the office. We are a disparate lot in the "low carb" community, with much independent thinking and talented, innovative thought leaders. I suspect that the field of nutrition and metabolism will never be one of lock-step agreement. However, I would like to take this opportunity to reiterate our common goals and to reinforce our shared understanding:

1) Current dietary recommendations that promote low-fat and low cholesterol diets are unscientific, unproven, and fatally flawed; and,
2) The vast majority of modern humans appear to function best when eating nutritionally dense, whole foods that most closely resemble those foods on which we evolved.

I believe it is these principles that unite us all. There will always be bumps in the road, and we must always be prepared for unexpected turbulence. That's life.

Let's keep our eyes on the ball! Slow, steady progress always wins the race.

Good health to us all!

Gil
Mid-Missouri Reproductive Medicine & Surgery

1 comment:

  1. I am eagerly awaiting the day when docs finally admit low fat is useless and low carb is the best way of eating.

    And yea, there are a few people I'd like to say "I told you so" to!!

    ReplyDelete